Rohit Sharma (sometimes called Hitman) is one of India’s most accomplished cricketers in recent years. He is a right-handed batsman and a right-arm off-spin bowler. Sharma is known for his exceptional batting skills, especially in the limited-overs formats of the game.
Born on April 30, 1987, in Nagpur, Maharashtra, Sharma started playing cricket at a young age. He made his debut for the Indian cricket team in June 2007 during an ODI match against Ireland.
Breakthrough in IPL
Sharma’s big breakthrough came during the 2008 Indian Premier League (IPL) where he played for the Deccan Chargers. He finished as the tournament’s leading run-scorer with 404 runs in 16 matches. This performance earned him a call-up to the Indian team for the ICC Champions Trophy in 2009.
Champions Trophy Heroics
Sharma’s finest moment as a cricketer came during the 2013 Champions Trophy in England. In the final against England, he scored a match-winning knock of 52 off 68 balls, helping India international cricket team to win the tournament. He was named the player of the match for his performance.
Sharma’s real impact, however, has been in the limited-overs formats of the game, especially in ODI cricket. He has scored over 10,000 runs in ODIs and holds the record for the highest individual score in a single innings in the format - an incredible 264 runs against Sri Lanka in 2014.
In addition to his batting skills, Sharma has also proven to be a useful bowler in limited-overs cricket. He has picked up over 100 wickets in ODI cricket and has a bowling average of 40.44.
Awards and Accolades
Sharma’s success in cricket has earned him numerous accolades over the years. He has won several awards, including the Arjuna Award and the Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World award in 2019.
Here is some of the awards that Rohit Sharma has received over the years include:
- Arjuna Award: In 2015, Rohit Sharma was conferred with the prestigious Arjuna Award by the Government of India. The award is given to recognize outstanding achievements in sports and is one of the highest sporting honors in India.
- Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World: In 2019, Rohit Sharma was named the Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World. The award is given to the best cricketer of the year and is widely regarded as one of the most prestigious individual honors in the sport.
- ICC ODI Player of the Year: Rohit Sharma has won the ICC ODI Player of the Year award on two occasions - in 2019 and 2020. The award recognizes the best ODI player of the year, and Rohit Sharma’s outstanding performances in the format have earned him this recognition.
- IPL Titles: Rohit Sharma has led the Mumbai Indians to an unprecedented five IPL titles - in 2013, 2015, 2017, 2019, and 2020. He has also been named the IPL’s most successful captain, with a win percentage of over 60%.
- Other records and Achievements: Rohit Sharma holds several records and achievements in international cricket. He is the only cricketer to have scored three double centuries in ODI cricket, and his highest score of 264 is the highest individual score in the format. He has also scored four centuries in T20I cricket, the most by any player.
Off the Field
Off the field, Sharma is known for his calm and composed demeanor. He is married to Ritika Sajdeh and has a daughter named Samaira.
In conclusion, Rohit Sharma is undoubtedly one of India’s greatest cricketers of all time. His incredible performances in limited-overs cricket have made him a fan favorite around the world, and his records and achievements will be remembered for years to come.